Friday, January 9, 2015

A Reason to Bag for Less for Handbag Lovers!

I like anyone else, can appreciate the aura around a designer piece of clothing or handbag. However, I’ve come to accept that there are things I cannot afford. I pacify myself with the idea that novelty wears off before the item wears out, and I get bored of things that have been sitting in my closet, unworn or unused, regardless of their cost.


My sister-in-law, on the other hand, buys the most expensive clothing and accessories she can afford -  or maybe, even can’t afford. With credit cards these days, for better or for worse, anything is possible. At any rate, she is well familiar with the best of the best, the finest of the fine. She won’t even step foot into any gentrified retail establishment, i.e. any mall store with a recognizable name. If something costs hundreds of dollars, or better, thousands of dollars at an exclusive boutique, she knows it’s worth having, sight unseen.

One of the things I love about Evelyn is that my conversations with her inevitably appease my shopping guilt. Musing over her own luxuries one day, Evelyn quipped, “What’s the most expensive fashion item YOU own?” Browsing through my mental inventory, I remembered a handbag I am proud of - a $700 handbag that I had purchased for $150 dollars at Marshall’s, especially for the purpose of impressing people like Evelyn. (We have many like her in our affluent suburban town.) I rarely use this particular handbag. It’s not that the bag doesn’t have its assets; it’s just that the bag doesn’t go with anything I have. Could that be because it’s not one of my colors? LOL! It has become what Oprah Winfrey calls “closet jewelry” - something you love to have, but for whatever reason, isn’t really serviceable; you love to see it when you open your closet. You can say it’s yours, and be pleased it’s in your possession, but not user friendly when it comes to practicality.

Evelyn was quite impressed with the fact I own this designer pocketbook. She shared that she was contemplating buying a scarf that was on sale -  “after Christmas clearance, for $700.” When else could she ever own a $1400 scarf? She paused to wonder if it would possibly be a wasteful purchase, but probably not. 

Recently we planned an evening out after a day of running errands together. After retiring to my room to get dressed for the evening, I made my entrance to the foyer of the house as we prepared to leave.  Suddenly Evelyn became giddy as she began gasping at my jade, studded, shoulder bag. “That’s it, that’s it, isn’t it?!!!” Evelyn could barely contain herself as she laid eyes on my rectangular, green, grainy, vinyl, hobo bag.  “That’s the $700 bag, isn’t it? OMG, OMG, it is so FAB!!!”

I smiled, and we continued on our way. In my head, I was saying “OMG!” That was my Faded Glory, $9 handbag from Walmart. In fact, this carrier had endeared me immediately as I perceived its user friendliness and proceeded to buy five of them- black, brown, jade, raspberry, and zebra. These bags are lightweight, deep, and roomy. The total splurge was a grand $45!

I had an epiphany that day. Sometimes we want things because we think having something expensive will make us complete. We feel entitled to a luxury because someone else has it. We obsess about it and then start believing we are somehow inferior if we don’t acquire that ‘thing”. Then we stop at nothing to get it, making unreasonable financial decisions along the way.

My $9 handbag was just the thing in every way, even in Evelyn’s eyes. It was my color, coordinated well with my clothing and suited all my purposes. It did not look inferior to the fine costly items Evelyn’s seasoned eyes had seen.  Her experienced eyes opened my eyes. I won’t even be spending $150 on a $700 item ever again. 

Stay within your budget, look great, feel great!

Here are the five wonder bags! Faded Glory, $9 each, clearance price!
Here I am with the green bag! $9 spent at Walmart!




I


1 comment:

  1. You're right! I definitely it's all about how you style your goods. You can purchase the most affordable bag and make it look a million dollers X

    THEFASHION-JUNKIE

    ReplyDelete